Sunday, February 15, 2009

surrounded by Peru's top of the notch.

Destiny got its ways to sneak up on you sometimes ey. One moment I find myself crossing the desert for a second time, back to Guadalupe to catch my ride to Trujillo, where I thought my luck left me; the next moment I am standing with a new found friend in the-Huanchaca carnaval, only one meter away from miss universe peru 2008. What are the odds?
After saying goodbye to my travel compagnion Reed and his Reiki friend Sherry I got into the bus waving them goodbye smiling. The two and half an hour busride brings me to Trujillo Terminal Terrestre where Abrahan awaits me. A fellow Couchsurfer who picks me up and brings me to a room on the rooftop. i climb the small shed to get a view over all the city and its slums. I forgot I don't like cities. I like to live in a nice city, but visiting these grey mass of buildings with people running around and cars contaminating the air with noise and carbonoxyde.. It's not the favorite part of my travels through South America. Abrahan shows me the city centre and we grab a bite. We cross the central plaza and visit the bar at the corner. Rock posters of famous artitst everywhere acompagnied by their voices shrilling through the speakers. There we meet Ivan, asking for fire and there's a click. We decide to do the beach the next day together.

After 5 hours of sleep ivan calls in, wakey wakey, eggs and bakey! Batido de platano for breakfast if possible and soon after we are squeezed into a minibus with aprox. 25 others. It's about 36 degrees celcius: minor conditions that would make a beach visit appealing.
The night was almost a punishment. Being on antibiotics against some sort of fungus that appears in changing climate conditions i can't drink a drop of alcohol. All that while being in the place to be with Peruvian's most beautiful dancing around you, including miss universe at three feet. Loud latin music and the stomping feet make the ambiance tremble. We dance 'alegre' and laugh. We are surrounded by girls smiling back and even those with boyfriends throw looks that breathe an air of femme fatal on a lookout. I can't take much more much longer. Once we get 'home', ourt hostel is sealed and no-one's there. We break in through the back kitchen door, moving around the cooking equipment in order to get in. We hit the sack and sleep profound: my dreams one blurry haze of black-haired girls showing their teeth.

1 comment:

  1. showing their teeth as in 'I grab you by your backpack' or just friendly smiles?
    that's the question

    voorzichtig, jongen, voorzichtig

    pa

    ReplyDelete