Friday, March 6, 2009

Body tourists.



A strike of bad luck might have been at hand. After the unsuccesful attempt of reviving my camera and leaving my bankcard in a ATM in Lima, my wallet disappeared into thin air and another card got swallowed. When I arrive at the Loki hostel I meet a girl who looks exactely like the girl in Machuca (Chilean movie). We are both tired but decide to go out to a restaurant. We walk out the 450 year old building, down the stairs into old-school Cusco. I remember the scene in `Diarios de motocicleta´ where Ernesto has a guide telling him about the difference between the mayor stones and the tiny stones in the wall. The mayor ones being built by the Inca´s and the tiny ones by the Spanish, or as the guide referres to them as; the Incapaces. The small stone path streets have stores on everywhere and girls standing on either side ask you whether you want a massage. Later I find out how some massages have a so called ´happy ending´, which probably leaves you rather empty and sad if you ask me. Definately not my cup of tea.

We find the restaurant after a mini tour and while she orders pancakes, I order a salad of cooked vegetables. Should be no worrie after having spent almost 7 weeks in the continent, I think to myself. When the salad is served it has lettuce and some vegetables. I decide to take my chances. WRONG choice.

That same night I start peeing from my ass to put it delicately. The next day I try to remedy the situation with a pharmacists recommendation of antibiotics. 36 hours later there is still no improvement of the situation and at this point I can barely walk any stairs. I talk to reception and they opt I might have Salmonella. After having tried to get down a slice of toast and failing, I decide to ask them to call a doctor. She arrives within half an hour and tells me that I probably have salmonella AND a parasite at the same time- Amoeba, which is pretty agressive and is dehydrating me fastly. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amoebiasis

The doctor is an angel. She gets me to the clinic and has the nurses put me on a drip immediately. 24 hours of being invadced by cold drops that enter my left arm through my veins works! After having watched a dozen movies and having dozed of another dozen times I am alive again! The nurses wake me up at 05:00 a.m. to get the last antibiotics into my system and by 11:00 in the morning I am out of there. When I walk back I feel as if I escaped death. I hope this is the end of it and I keep a positive souvenir out of it being a higher resistance. I do not want any more tourists in my body!

1 comment: